The Stated Meeting of the Presbytery of Eastern Canada was held at Grace Toronto Church.
In attendance were 20 teaching elders, 16 ruling elders, and 7 candidates.
The moderator called the meeting to order at 10:06 AM, and the Presbytery worshipped together with the moderator presiding. TE Lyndon Jost preached a sermon from 1 Kings 19:1-18.
Actions of the Presbytery*
– In the communications report, the stated clerk reported receiving notice of the following resignation: TE Ian Crooks, Harbour Light Sydney.
– The Presbytery set a special meeting for April 28, 2023, for the following examinations: Rev. John Lee, Daniel Lee, Max Park.
– TE Kyle Hackmann was appointed the chair for a temporary committee tasked with organizing a co-presbytery meeting between Eastern Canada and Western Canada, to be held in February 2024.
– The Presbytery sustained Mr. Zakary Herbert’s examination to come under care as a candidate for the gospel ministry.
– The Presbytery sustained Mr. Tarak George’s examination for ordination as Assistant Pastor at Grace Toronto Church.
– The Presbytery sustained Mr. Kingsley Lai’s examination for ordination as Assistant Pastor at Grace Toronto Church.
-The Presbytery approved a petition to establish Grace Gatineau Mission Church, with TE Franky Garcia providing pastoral ministry.
– The Presbytery approved a petition to establish Grace West Mission Church, with TE Jeffrey Hynds providing pastoral ministry.
– TE Lyndon Jost gave an update on developments with the Reformed House of Studies at Wycliffe College.
– The Presbytery voted on appointments to committees of commissioners at the 50th General Assembly in June 2023.
– The Presbytery sat in executive session to consider two protest letters. The letters were filed in response to an act of the Presbytery on October 21, 2022, which was to sustain a complaint against the previous decision of the Presbytery on April 22, 2022: that “TE Dan MacDonald’s actions do not rise to the level of chargeable offenses (BCO 29-1-4).” Regarding the two letters, the Presbytery passed a motion that the letter of November 17 was couched in temperate language and respectful to the court. The full text of the letter was recorded in the executive session minutes.
– The next stated meeting of Presbytery was set for Friday, June 3, 2023, at New City Hamilton.
*not all actions of the presbytery are listed here for the sake of confidentiality